The essential moving checklist
A checklist of to-dos to help you get ahead of packing, moving, and everything in between.
Moving can be one of life's most stressful events, but it doesn't have to be. Use this timeline and checklist to get organized.
8 weekends out
- Hire a moving company, reserve a formal storage unit, or book a truck if you plan on moving yourself.
- Begin de-cluttering, selling, donating, or trashing items you don't plan on moving.
- Review your move with your home or renters insurance company to see if you have any coverage gaps. Remember, breakage is typically not covered.
- Create a moving folder for all your moving, home or apartment insurance related documents.
6 weekends out
- Create a packing list to easily reference each item you will need to pack.
- Calculate moving box and supply needs.
- Buy moving supplies including boxes, tape, and packing materials or grab free boxes at your local liquor store or supermarket.
4 weekends out
- Pack all your non-essentials: off-season clothing, sports equipment, things stored in your garage and basement.
- Sell, donate, or store items that you don't have a space for in your new home.
- Set up mail forwarding and update your address with your bank, home insurance company, doctor's offices, etc.
2 weekends out
- Pack all non-essential items in your kitchen, bedrooms, and living spaces.
- Inspect your home and make any needed repairs.
1 weekend out
- Finish packing all your rooms, clean up, and clean out your current home.
- Transfer utilities to your new address.
- Consider getting ahead of any laundry you might need to do.
The night before
- Pack a box of essentials you'll need at your new place on moving day: toilet paper, soap, paper towels, and garbage bags. Don't forget your phone charger and moving folder.
- Do a final cleaning and room run-through to make sure you haven't forgotten anything.
- Get a good night of sleep – you have a big day tomorrow!