Customer information by state regarding the Coronavirus
New Jersey policyholders
Personal and Business Insurance Customers
For New Jersey consumers who are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19, we are offering the following options upon request:
- Allow for a 90-day grace period to pay insurance premiums so that insurance policies are not cancelled for nonpayment of premium.
- You may elect the 90-day grace period to begin retroactively on April 1, 2020 or opt for the grace period to begin on May 1, 2020.
- During the 90-day period, we will waive any late payment fees. These late payments will not be reported to credit-rating agencies or be considered in any future premium calculations.
- Allow for the payment of overdue premium, accrued during the 90-day period, to be paid over 12-months in equal installments.
Personal insurance customers may contact us at 1-844-629-8979 with any questions.
Business insurance customers may contact us at 1-866-290-2920 with any questions.
New York policyholders
The New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS) has adopted emergency regulations that require issuers of Property and Casualty and Small Businesses insurance to assist New York consumers who are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19. The regulations are in response to Governor Andrew M. Cuomo’s Executive Order No. 202.13.
Personal Auto Customer Relief Refund
Fewer drivers are on the road, which means fewer accidents. With this in mind, we are announcing our Personal Auto Customer Relief Refund, which will return approximately $250 million to our customers. Here’s how it works:
- Personal auto insurance customers will receive a 15% refund on two months of their auto premium.
- This refund will be delivered in two payments: Active policies as of April 30, 2020 will receive payments equal to 15% of their monthly May auto policy premium, and active policies as of May 31, 2020 will receive payments equal to 15% of their monthly June auto policy premium.
- Payments will be rounded to the nearest dollar, and the minimum refund will be rounded up to $10.
- We are planning to issue the refund in the manner you made your most recent payment or by check.
- Your refund will happen automatically, and you do not need to call us to get your refund.
Property and Casualty Insurance for Individuals and Small Business Insurance Customers:
The DFS’ emergency regulation has directed insurers to assist customers who are experiencing financial hardship caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. As such, we are providing our customers, who are enduring financial hardship due to COVID-19, with the following:
- Allowing for a 60-day grace period for the cancellation, conditional renewal or non-renewal of a policyholder’s insurance policy for failure to pay premiums;
- During the 60-day period, waiving any late payment fees. These late payments will not be reported to credit-rating agencies.
- Upon request, allow for the payment of overdue premium, accrued during the 60-day period, to be paid over 12-months in equal installments.
The emergency amendments can be found at Section 405.6 of Title 3; and Sections 185.7(m)(4) and 187.6(f)(4) and Part 229 of Title 11 of the Official Compilation of Codes, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York. For additional information regarding DFS regulatory actions on the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit http://www.dfs.ny.gov/industry/coronavirus.
If you are an individual, generally, personal lines property/casualty insurance policies are covered by these amendments, including auto, homeowners’ and renters’ insurance. Individual Personal lines customers may contact us at 1-844-629-8979 with any questions.
If you are a small business, only certain types of commercial lines property/casualty insurance policies are covered by these amendments, generally including property, fire, commercial general liability, special multiperil, medical malpractice, workers’ compensation, commercial auto (including livery and other for-hire vehicles), and commercial umbrella insurance. A business qualifies as a “small business” if it is resident in New York State, is independently owned and operated, and employs 100 or fewer individuals. Small business customers may contact us at 1-866-290-2920 with any questions.
Washington, DC policyholders
Liberty Mutual is committed to assist our customers during the COVID-19 Emergency and has taken a variety of measures to help and provide relief, as explained here.
In addition to these measures, we are offering customers in the District of Columbia who are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19 the option, upon request, to repay any unpaid premiums in installments over a period of up to 12 months, beginning one month after the end of the Public Health Emergency.
We want to assure our customers in the District of Columbia that late payments during the emergency will not be considered in any future premium calculations at any time.
Please contact a Liberty Mutual billing representative for further questions.
Personal Lines customers: 1-844-629-8979
Business Lines customers: 1-866-290-2920