You could save 12% when you buy customized car insurance online
Enter your ZIP code to start your custom car insurance quote
Affordable car insurance, designed for you.
Liberty Mutual has been in the auto insurance business for over 100 years. So, whether you’re looking for affordable car insurance, or full, comprehensive coverage, we’re here to customize a quote that fits your needs. We understand that when life changes, your policy may need to as well, which is why we offer personalized service and digital tools to help our customers navigate choosing (and using) their insurance. Learn more about our auto coverage, discounts, and what Liberty Mutual can provide to you. Start a free auto insurance quote to get your price in minutes!
What do I need to start a car insurance quote?
Getting a quote is easy and fast. – even on your phone!
- ZIP code where you live
- Driver’s license number
- Make, model, and year of your car
- Vehicle Identification number (VIN)
- Approximate miles on your vehicle
What affects my car insurance rate?
Things that insurance companies consider that typically affect your auto insurance rate are:
- Your driving record
- How often you drive
- Cost to repair your vehicle
- If your car has safety features
Every driver on the road is unique. Your car, your driving history, and of course your budget are all factors to consider when shopping for car insurance. We customize your car insurance so you only pay for what you need.
How can I compare quotes from different car insurance companies?
What is the most important car insurance coverage to have?
It is most important that you meet your state's minimum requirements for car insurance. This typically includes the following coverages:
- Bodily injury liability
- Medical payments
- Property damage
- Uninsured motorist coverage is also required by many states
Don't worry — when you get an online car insurance quote with Liberty Mutual, we'll make sure you're covered with what is required based on what state you live in.
If you want what is often referred to as "full coverage" you'll want to consider adding comprehensive and collision insurance which are two common optional coverages for additional protection. If you lease or finance your car, these may be required.
What is typically not covered by car insurance?
- General maintenance for your vehicle
- Personal items inside your vehicle
- Ridesharing such as for Uber and Lyft and other commercial uses
- Injuries to pets
Why choose Liberty Mutual for car insurance?
- Liberty Mutual customizes your insurance so you only pay for what you need
- You could save $947 on auto and home when you bundle your insurance policies1
- We've been helping people like you protect what they love for more than 100 years
- We're rated "A" (Excellent) financial by A.M. Best Company2
Understand your auto insurance coverage options
Most car insurance companies tell you what they cover, but how does car insurance coverage work if you need to use it? We’ve broken down some common coverages to help make sense of it all.
What kind of car insurance does my state require?
Save money with these auto insurance discounts
The number of discounts we offer is just one reason NerdWallet has named us one of the best car insurance companies of 2022.11 Start your auto quote to see how much you can save.
Paperless Policy Discount
Alternative Energy Discount
Those are just a few of the ways Liberty Mutual helps you save on your car insurance costs. See if you qualify for any other savings opportunities below.
Begin your free online quote
Common questions about car insurance
Because car insurance rates depend on so many factors (age, where you live, driving history), they will always vary from person to person.
It’s best to understand what cost looks like for you by getting a quote you can customize.All car insurance companies will take your personal details into account (all those things that affect your rate) when you get car insurance quotes, but most won’t help you understand what's right for you - which can be just as important when it comes to price. That’s the difference with Liberty Mutual. We help you only pay for what you need and nothing you don’t.
If you research average cost, keep in mind you’re seeing an average for the whole country, which includes the most expensive states, the least expensive states, and all kinds of drivers with different driving history. With so much variation, the help these numbers can provide might be limited, but they can give you a starting point.
Also, keep in mind the cheapest car insurance isn’t always the best, so read the coverage details carefully. A super low price now could mean a sky high price later if you’re in an accident.
It can seem like there’s no rhyme or reason as to why your insurance rate is what it is, but there are several factors that help determine your coverage and price.
The basics:Your ageStatistics tell us that certain age groups are less likely to have good driving behavior, and are therefore a higher risk to insure.Where you liveFrom environmental factors to the number of cars on the road, where you live indicates a lot about what kind of risks you’re more likely to encounter. Even varying regional repair and medical costs determine this aspect of your rate.The kind of car you driveThe age, condition, and safety features your car has all contribute to what determines your rate.Your driving historyAs you might guess, a good driving record can mean a better rate on your policy, whereas a history of accidents or other violations can mean a higher risk to insure.A few universal things that contribute to rate increases:
- A notable spike in distracted driving incidents
- Higher medical & auto repair costs
- More drivers on the road
- Look at similar policiesWhen comparing car insurance quotes, it helps to compare apples to apples; in other words, you want to be sure that the quotes you get are for identical - or at least very similar - auto insurance policies. Once you have a better idea of the type of coverage you’re looking for in a policy, this will be easy. To better understand coverage types, browse our car insurance coverages.Know what policy features are includedLiberty Mutual lists all coverages and features in our policies. This helps you understand exactly what's included in your quote, and which items may have an additional cost, such as towing or car rental coverages. When you compare car insurance, make sure you're getting the coverage you need and the features you want.Comparing similar coverage, limits, and deductible amountsPut simply: More coverage + lower deductible = higher premiumLess coverage + higher deductible = lower premiumAlso, be sure you're comparing the same coverage period, usually a 6-month or 12-month term.
We hate jargon as much as you do, which is why we’ve broken down the most common terms you’ll want to understand when comparing, purchasing, and using car insurance.DeductibleThe initial amount you are responsible for before coverage kicks in. In most cases, this amount is simply deducted from your payout after a claim. For example, if your deductible is $500 and you have a $2,000 claim, you will receive $1,500.PremiumThe total amount that you pay for an insurance policy.LiabilityWhat you’re responsible for in the event of an accident.Limit of liabilityThe maximum amount an insurance company can pay for coverage according to your policyAdditional living expensesAny necessary expenses you incur while you're unable to be in your home due to a covered loss.
2019 insurance filing data suggests that the cost of teen car insurance can range significantly across providers and drivers. One thing is more certain though, because new drivers are inherently riskier, you can anticipate that your price might go up. The good news? There are a number of discounts that can help you save on teen car insurance from Liberty Mutual, such as:
It’s because of the higher risk associated with teen drivers that it’s especially important to have quality coverage that protects your teen. If you’re seeing prices that look too good to be true, they probably are. A cheap quote may look tempting at first but will likely look less appealing once you dig into the coverage details and deductible.More resources on adding a new teen driver
- Good Student Discount
- Student-Away-at-School Discount
- Advanced Safety Features Discount