Home Insurance Claims Process
A guide through your home claim.
Immediately After a Loss
Staying safe should be your most important priority.
- If your property has major structural damage and there are any doubts about your safety, call the local authorities, such as a building inspector or city hall, before entering
- Report downed power lines or gas leaks to the utility company
- Keep electricity turned off if there is standing water in the house
- Turn off the water main to your home in the event of a burst pipe
- Take reasonable steps to protect your property from further damage (ex: board up broken windows)
- Take photos of the damage if possible and keep any receipts from purchases or services used because of the loss
You can , over the phone, or through your mobile device. But no matter how you report your claim there will be some basic information we'll need to collect from you:
- Your information (name, policy number, address)
- The type of claim: wind, water, fire, theft, etc.
- Description of damage to your home or any personal property
Depending on the claim type and damage, we may be able to process your claim over the phone without the need for a field inspection. If your claim is eligible, you also have the option of using our service and having your appraisal completed remotely by video chat with your claim representative.
We also may simply ask you to submit documents or photos to help us process your claim. You can submit an inventory of the items with our online home inventory tool, which is accessible through eService.
Using the inventory tool you can identify lost or damaged items in your home and upload documents and receipts as well. We can assist with replacing your lost or damaged items through our personal property replacement service.
Once your claim has been processed and approved, a payment will be mailed via USPS—which may take 5‐7 business days to arrive.
In some cases, your claim may require a field inspection. If that's the case, we'll send a Liberty Mutual representative to your home, typically within 1-7 business days, to take photos, assess the damage, and write an estimate to repair your home. In some cases, the representative may be able to issue a payment upon the inspection completion.
In the event you need emergency services, such as removing water from your home, covering your roof, or boarding up windows or doors, we will immediately dispatch an approved emergency services company to protect your home from further damage.
Even if your home has sustained severe damage, making it unlivable; we can provide you with temporary living for you and your family until your home is repaired. When you contact us, a Liberty Mutual Claim Representative can help you secure a living arrangement and work with the provider directly to cover qualified living expenses. For other daily expenses, you should keep the receipts for claim filing.
We'll make the claim process as smooth as possible and help you get back to normal as quickly as possible. Want to keep track of your payment? Simply or call us at: