RV insurance quotes
RV insurance allows you to customize your coverage
We can help you find the right RV coverage for a great price. We'll walk you through each step including making sure you get any savings or discounts you qualify for. So whether you drive a motorhome or travel with a trailer for road trips and vacations, Liberty Mutual can help you get the RV insurance you need.
What is RV insurance?
RV insurance helps protect you if you cause damage to others' property and/or injuries. It can also cover the cost of damage to your vehicle in the event of a covered loss if you have the coverages.
RV insurance coverage will vary based on
- Type of vehicle you have
- Coverages you need
- How you use your RV, from recreational to a full-time home
How does RV insurance work?
RV insurance works like most other vehicle insurance. If you're involved in an at-fault accident, it can help pay for the damages to others' property and/or injuries. You'll need to pick your liability limits and they should be based on your needs.
RV insurance also has optional coverages that can help pay for damages to your vehicle. These coverages can include Comprehensive and Collision Coverage.
What does RV insurance cover?
Basic coverage provided under most RV insurance policies include
- Medical Payments: Pays for initial medical expenses if you or a passenger are hurt in an accident, regardless of who's at fault
- Bodily Injury: Pay for other people's medical expenses if you cause an accident
- Collision Coverage: Pays for damages to your RV when it collides with another vehicle or object, like a tree or guardrail
- Property Damage: Pays for damages you cause to other people's property in an accident
Is RV insurance required?
Insurance requirements vary depending on if you have a drivable RV or towable RV. The type of RV affects the type of recreational vehicle insurance coverage you may need.
Motorhomes/drivable RVs: These RVs are self-propelled and include permanently installed amenities like those used for cooking, sleeping, bathrooms, etc.
The 3 main categories of drivable recreational vehicles are 1
- Class A RVs: Conventional-type motorhomes that include large, bus-shaped
- Class B RVs: Small, sleeper or camper-type vans
- Class C RVs: Considered a type of mini-motorhome
Towable RVs: These travel or camper trailers require a separate vehicle to tow/pull them and include
- Pop-up and travel trailers
- Utility trailers (pulled behind autos to transport personal items)
- Horse and stock trailers
- Boat trailers
- 5th wheel campers and/or home trailers
- Camper bodies (mounted on pickups) and camper vans
- Truck campers, truck caps, and bed covers
Most states require Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability insurance on all types of motorhomes. However, RV insurance is optional for travel trailers because they aren't motorized. Please note, if you're financing your drivable RV or travel trailer, your lender may require you to carry physical damage insurance.
If you rent an RV, you'll likely need to have insurance. In some cases, your auto insurance may provide some coverage to a rental RV. To be safe, you should always check with your insurance company.
How to compare RV insurance companies
Tips for comparing RV insurance quotes
- Compare coverages and make sure the options meet your needs
- Choose the same deductibles because they can affect your quote prices
When comparing RV insurance, you should also think about how easy it is to deal with the company. At Liberty Mutual we make RV insurance easy. Our fast and easy quotes let you customize coverages, so you only pay for what you need.
Last, but not least, you should also consider the insurance company's reputation. At Liberty Mutual, we believe progress happens when people feel secure — and that goes beyond insurance. These are just a few ways Liberty Mutual helps make RV insurance easy.
How much does RV insurance cost?
The cost for RV insurance varies depending on many things like
- Type, age, and condition of your RV
- How often you use it
- How you use your RV
- Your driving record/experience and claims history
- Coverages/limits you pick
See how much you could save when you get an RV insurance quote with Liberty Mutual and only pay for what you need. Call us at 888-582-1256.