A message about how we’re supporting our customers during the Coronavirus
Personal Insurance Customers
Personal Auto Customer Relief Refund
In April, we announced our Personal Auto Customer Relief Refund, through which we returned approximately $250 million to our customers. Personal auto insurance customers received a 15% refund on two months of auto premium, based on your premium amount as of April 7, 2020.1
- Refunds began in April and throughout the month of May and were issued in the manner you made your most recent payment, or by check.
- Refunds issued to credit cards and bank accounts were completed by May 20th, and refunds issued by check were mailed by May 20th.*
- Your refund amount is posted in your Payment History in the app or online.
*New York state customers will be issued refunds by June 8th. Approval from state regulators is still pending for Michigan; we will begin issuing refunds when approval is granted.
Payment Flexibility Options
We have automatically stopped charging late fees and have temporarily paused personal auto & home coverage cancellations due to non-payment from March 23 through June 15, 2020, or later as directed by your state.During this difficult time, we know you may be experiencing financial hardship and may have changed your driving pattern. You may contact us to review coverage, deductible, and other policy changes, including options to update mileage.
We are also extending payment dates if needed. Please contact us if we can be of assistance.
Download Our Mobile App to Update Your Billing and View Confirmation When Your Refund is Posted
We understand it’s a challenging time. That’s why the Liberty Mutual mobile app makes it easy to confirm you've received your refund and update your billing preferences, like changing your payment date, if you need to. Refunds began in April, will continue throughout the month of May, and may not yet be available to view in your account.
Changes to Auto & Property Claims Process to Protect Customers and Employees
- We’ve stopped all in-home damage inspections effective immediately except in emergency situations, such as water damage with an active leak or threat of mold, to avoid having employees entering homes. Whenever possible, we will do in-home inspections through RealTime Review video chat or other video collaboration tools. We will ask customers for their approval before using these tools.
- Our adjusters will continue to do outside property inspections outside the home with customer permission. Our property adjusters will be following CDC Guidelines, including social distancing and following sanitation guidelines.
- Auto appraisers will not be visiting customer homes or auto body shops except in emergency situations and will follow CDC guidelines. You can submit photographs of vehicle damage online and through our app, including using our new assisted-photo tool which will show you step-by-step how to take damage photos.
- All other claims employees are working from home to handle claims as quickly as possible. For faster claims processing, we strongly encourage you to file new claims online, to manage claims online, and to use our digital tools including RealTime Review video chat and guided photo capture.
- We are suspending our Claims Valet Service until further notice except for emergency situations.
- We’re instructing any vendors who provide services to Liberty Mutual to follow the same guidelines.
Online Options for Personal Insurance Customers
Business Insurance Customers
Businessowners Policy Refund
To help Liberty Mutual small commercial customers, we are announcing the Businessowners Policy (BOP) Refund. Here’s how it works:
- Small commercial customers will receive a 15% refund of two months of their annual BOP premium for policies in-force, based on their premium amount as of April 1, 2020, pending regulatory approval.
- Refunds will be issued by check. Refunds have started and will be completed in the coming weeks.
- The payments will happen automatically. You do not need to call us to receive the refund.
Coverage Flexibility Options
For other types of insurance policies outside of Businessowners policies (BOP) including workers compensation, general liability, package policies, and vehicle coverage, we are ready to work with each customer to temporarily adjust your insurance coverage as needed to reflect changes your business has experienced. Please contact your agent to discuss those options.
Payment Flexibility Options
We are automatically waiving late fees and pausing cancellations due to non-payment from March 23 through June 15, 2020, or later as directed by your state. We are also extending payment dates if needed. Please contact us or your agent if we can be of assistance.
Delivery Coverage Expansion
We understand that many small businesses such as restaurants, bakeries, delis, etc. are temporarily offering new or extended delivery services to keep business open, creating a gap in insurance coverage. We are temporarily offering Hired and Non-Owned Auto coverage to fill insurance gaps if you decide to add delivery to your business with vehicles you don’t own. Please contact your agent to add Hired or Non-owned coverage to your policy.
To review information about our coverage and claims response, risk control resources, and more to help protect your employees, customers, and business, please visit our COVID-19 resource page. Key resources include:
- COVID-19 employer update: WC claims handling and care
- Injured worker resources and FAQs
- Premium audit FAQs
- Business resiliency in uncertain times
- Temporarily closing a facility or downsizing operations
Our philanthropy program is helping people who are experiencing some of the greatest need during this time. Among our many efforts in the U.S., we’ve committed $15 million in crisis grants to community partners helping respond to the coronavirus; given donations to each of the over 800 nonprofits we partner with during our employee volunteering program; further supported employees’ online charitable donations with company gifts; and created an employee phone outreach program to call those in the community who are socially isolated.
Across the globe, our varied and widespread philanthropic efforts range from providing meals to families in India and Hong Kong; donating masks in Singapore; and giving monetary contributions to many local nonprofits.
Measures to Keep Employees Safe and Prevent Spread of Coronavirus
We’ve taken measures to follow CDC guidelines and prevent the spread of coronavirus to our employees and customers:
- We’ve enabled all our employees to work from home and implemented mandatory work from home across all offices in the US and Canada.
- All air, rail, and bus travel by employees is restricted through May 29.
We will keep you informed as this situation continues to evolve. In the meantime, stay well and thank you for being a Liberty Mutual customer.