Recover from water damage
Take these steps if your home has been impacted by water.
Stop the source if you haven't already
If the water is coming from a burst or leaking pipe, try to find the closest shut-off valve and turn it off. If water is coming in through the roof or broken windows, cover as best you can with tarps or plastic sheeting.
Document the damage
- Take photos and videos.
- Save all damaged items, your insurance company may want to inspect them.
- Keep a list of the temporary repairs you make.
- Save all claim-related bills and receipts.
Protect your belongings
- Move wet items to drier areas.
- Place aluminum foil, coasters or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet floors.
- Remove area rugs from the floor; dyes in carpets can stain carpeting and floors.
- Clean up as much water as possible by mopping or blotting with towels.
- When safe to do so, use fans to circulate air and speed up drying.
Call a professional
After you report your claim to the insurance company, use a water mitigation specialist of your choice to clean up the water and dry your home. Ask your claims adjuster if they can recommend an approved company.
Already a Liberty Mutual customer? File a claim or contact customer support about water damage coverage and your policy.