Home insurance claims can vary in severity. From theft or vandalism to storm damage, here are some basic guidelines to help get you through the home insurance claim process.
Immediately after a Loss:
Staying safe should be your most important priority.
Reporting the Claim:
- If your property has major structural damage and there are any doubts about your safety, call the local authorities before entering
- Report downed power lines or gas leaks to the utility company
- Keep electricity turned off if there is standing water in the house
- Turn off the water main to your home in the event of a burst pipe
- Take reasonable steps to protect your property from further damage (ex: board up broken windows)
- Take photos of the damage if possible and keep any receipts from purchases or services used because of the loss
You can report a claim
online, over the phone, or through your mobile device. But no matter how you report your claim there will be some basic information we'll need to collect from you:
Claims Processing and Payment:
- Your information (name, policy number, address)
- The type of claim: wind, water, fire, theft, etc.
- Description of damage to your home or any personal property
Once we have all the necessary information, we will work closely with you to resolve your claim as quickly as possible.
Depending on the claim type and damage, we may be able to process your claim over the phone without the need for a field inspection. We may simply ask you to submit documents or photos to help us process your claim. You can submit an inventory of the items with our online home inventory tool, which is accessible through eService2012033017144851
Using the inventory tool you can identify lost or damaged items in your home and upload documents and receipts as well. We can assist with replacing your lost or damaged items through our personal property replacement service.
Once your claim has been processed and approved, a payment will be mailed via USPS—which may take 5‐7 business days to arrive.
In some cases, your claim may require a field inspection. If that's the case, we'll send a Liberty Mutual representative to your home, typically within 1-7 business days, to take photos, assess the damage, and write an estimate to repair your home. In some cases, the representative may be able to issue a payment upon the inspection completion.
In the event you need emergency services, such as removing water from your home, covering your roof, or boarding up windows or doors, we will immediately dispatch an approved emergency services company to protect your home from further damage.
Even if your home has sustained severe damage, making it unlivable; we can provide you with temporary living for you and your family until your home is repaired. When you contact us, a Liberty Mutual Claim Representative can help you secure a living arrangement and work with the provider directly to cover qualified living expenses. For other daily expenses, you should keep the receipts for claim filing.
Rest assured, we'll make the claim process as smooth as possible and help you get back to normal as quickly as possible. Want to keep track of your payment? Simply log in2012033017144851
or call us at