Winter Weather Safety Kit
Suggested items for your winter weather safety kit include:
- First aid materials. Include prescription medications, over-the-counter painkillers, rubbing alcohol, eye wash kit, bandages, latex gloves, antiseptic spray and vomit-inducing medication in case of accidental poisoning.
- Flashlights and extra batteries in the event the power goes out.
- Snow shovels.
- Salt and sand to help prevent falls when moving about outside.
- Dry wood stored in a dry place.
- Enough gasoline or diesel fuel to operate a generator or portable heating device.*
- Blankets and extra clothing to avoid frostbite and hypothermia.
- Enough dried goods, energy bars and canned goods that do not need heating for each person to eat for three days.
- Battery- or crank-operated radio to listen to weather updates and notifications.
- Enough water to last every member of your family at least three days (one gallon per person per day).