Types of Car Damage

When you call to report an auto claim with Liberty Mutual, one of the questions we'll ask you is how badly your car is damaged. We'll ask you to categorize it as "Minor," "Moderate" or "Severe." But what does that really mean?
Minor Car Damage
Minor Damage
Minor damage typically means scratches, scrapes or dings. For example, a cracked headlight or small dent in your hood.
Moderate Car Damage
Moderate Damage
Moderate damage usually means large dents in the hood, fender or door of your car. If the doors won't open, or if airbags have deployed, you likely have a moderate amount of damage to your car.
Severe Car Damage
Severe Damage
Severe damage is just like it sounds: very heavy damage. This includes broken axles and bent or twisted frames. In a severe damage situation, air bags have almost always deployed. Examples include if your car has rolled over, or a complete side of the car is damaged.