Recovering from Water Damage
Follow these steps to be safe and protect your property
Call: 1-800-2CLAIMS (1-800-225-2467) In addition, follow these 5 steps:
1. Be Safe
Do not use electrical equipment or appliances while standing on wet carpet or floors. Never use electrical equipment that has been water damaged, even if you are using it in a dry area.
2. Prevent Further
Damage If possible, stop the leak or drip. If the water is coming from a burst or leaking pipe, try to find the closest shut-off valve and turn it off. If water is coming in through the roof or broken windows, try to cover as best you can with tarps or plastic sheeting.
3. Use a Professional
After reporting your claim, you can use a water mitigation specialist of your choice to clean up the water and dry your home. We recommend using one of , which your claims adjuster can assist you in setting up.
4. Document the Damage
- Take photos and videos.
- Save all damaged items, your Claim Representative may want to inspect them.
- Keep a list of temporary repairs you make.
- Save all claim-related bills and receipts.
5. Protect Your Belongings
- Move wet items to drier areas.
- Place aluminum foil, coasters or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet floors.
- Remove area rugs from the floor; dyes in carpets can stain carpeting and floors.
- Clean up as much water as possible by mopping or blotting with towels.
- When safe to do so, use fans to circulate air and encourage drying.
Learn more about how to in your home.