Whether it's a fender bender or a total loss, accidents can be stressful - but the claims process doesn't have to be.
Immediately After the Accident:
Accidents can vary in severity. Sometimes it's a pebble that cracks your windshield, sometimes it's a collision. Here are some guidelines on what to do after an accident:
Reporting the Claim:
- Remain calm, if another driver is involved don't argue with them
- Move your vehicle out of harm's way
- Make sure everyone is ok and call 911 if necessary
- If someone else is involved, exchange information, including:
- Name, address and contact information
- License number
- Insurance information
- Witness information
You can report a claim
in a number of different ways - online, over the phone, or with your mobile device. But no matter how you report it there will be some information we'll need to know:
Sign Up for SMS/Text Alerts:
- Your information (name, address and which vehicle was involved)
- If you weren't driving - the name and address of the person who was
- A basic description of what happened
- Severity of the damage
- Estimated time / location of the incident
- Information of anyone else involved (other drivers, witnesses, etc) is also helpful. Downloading the Accident Notes Form or the Liberty Mutual Mobile app can help you keep track of all these details.
Sign up for SMS/text message alerts to receive notifications on the status of your claim. Receive text messages on your phone when you first report your claim and when a payment has been sent. Log in2012033017144851 to eService to sign up for SMS/text message alerts.1
Appraisals and Repairs:
The next step is to bring your car in for an inspection and repair. You can choose any one of these types of facilities.
Payment of Your Claim:
- Guaranteed Repair Network* - shops are held to the same high standards that Liberty Mutual holds itself to. By being a part of the Guaranteed Repair Network, each facility asserts its dedication to providing the highest-quality repairs and excellent customer service. Because of that, Liberty Mutual will 100% guarantee the repairs for as long as you own the vehicle. You can log in and search for a Guaranteed Repair Network shop and schedule an appointment. At participating facilities you can also keep track of the repair status online to see if work on your vehicle has been completed yet. Other benefits include receiving priority status to get you back on the road as quickly as possible, direct payments for repairs and unlimited car rental if you've added rental coverage to your policy.
- Your Selected Repair Shop - Already have a repair shop you trust? You are free to bring your car to any shop you choose. Simply schedule an appointment with the shop, let us know, and we'll work with them directly to review an estimate and make a payment.
- Liberty Mutual Drive In - In select locations, bring your car to a Liberty Mutual facility where a friendly Liberty Mutual staff member can inspect your car and provide you with an estimate. Then you can choose where to get it repaired.
How your claim is paid will depend on if you lease or financed your vehicle and what type of claim
In most cases, we recommend that you allow us to pay the repair shop directly. Most repair shops will release your car sooner if they know the payment is coming from an insurance company. Please note, Liberty Mutual will pay the shop the repair cost less your policy deductible
. You are responsible for your deductible and should bring that payment with you to pay to the shop directly.
You can log in2012033017144851
to track your payment, or call us at