Flood Insurance partnership with the NFIP
Liberty Mutual is part of the WYO (Write Your Own) Program under the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in all 50 states, in over 21,000 communities. Our participation in this program allows us to provide and serve NFIP policies that can keep you protected from costly damage.
What should I know about flood insurance?
- A homeowners policy does not protect against loss or damage from a flood.
- According to the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), nearly 20% of flood insurance claims come from moderate to low-risk areas of the country, meaning there are far more people at risk than you might think.
- Only a few inches of water is all it takes to cause major damage to your property
How can I prevent flood damage?
- Install backflow valves or standpipes.
- Landscape with native plants and vegetation that resist soil erosion.
- Maintain a sump pump system if you have below-grade floors.
- Install flood shields or built-up barriers for basement windows and doors.
- Raise your washer and dryer, water heater, oil tank, furnace or any electrical wiring on concrete blocks, above the base flood elevation.