California home insurance
Enter your ZIP code to start your custom quote
California homeowners insurance coverage
Homeowners in California face many challenges living in the Golden State. Wildfires can pose a threat to homes and personal property in the summer and fall. Additionally, Californians always have to be prepared for the possibility of an earthquake. Liberty Mutual understands the needs of California homeowners and offers customized homeowners insurance coverage to fit your specific situation.
What types of homeowners insurance coverages are recommended in California?
The following insurance coverage comes standard with any homeowners policy:
The following insurance coverages are recommended for homeowners in California:
- Flood insurance: Homeowners insurance generally does not cover damage caused by floods, which many parts of California are particularly susceptible to due to the many valleys and low-land coastal areas. Deserts in southern California, and land recently damaged by wildfires can experience flashfloods. Keep in mind that even if you are not in a flood zone, flooding frequently occurs outside of flood risk areas.
Liberty Mutual offers flood insurance in partnership with the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) under the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). While flood insurance needs to be purchased separately and is often optional, it may be required to secure a home loan if you live in a high-risk flood area.
CA Earthquake insurance: We encourage all homeowners in California to buy earthquake insurance. California has hundreds of active fault lines, putting most Californian homeowners at risk.
When you start your online home insurance quote with us, we'll also provide you with an earthquake insurance quote.
We offer earthquake coverage in partnership with the California Earthquake Authority (CEA). The CEA insures over 1 million households in California making it one of the world's largest providers of residential earthquake insurance.
You can use the CEA's earthquake insurance calculator to estimate what your earthquake insurance might cost. Note that you cannot buy a stand-alone earthquake policy through the CEA. A policy must be purchased through a residential insurance company, such as Liberty Mutual.
- Personal property replacement cost: If your belongings are lost or damaged in a covered loss such as from theft or a fire, this coverage will cover the cost of brand-new replacement items.
Begin your free online quote
The following optional homeowners insurance coverages should be considered by all homeowners in California:
- Blanket Jewelry
- Escape of Water
- Inflation protection
Is homeowners insurance required by law in California?
No, homeowners insurance isn't required by law in California, but your mortgage company will most likely require it in order to get a loan.
What is the average cost of homeowners insurance in California?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in California is $1,359 per year according to NerdWallet.2 That's 17% lower than the national average. However, this rate may be higher or lower for you depending on the value and age of your home, the coverage you select, your claims history, and a wide variety of other factors.
Still unsure about your homeowners insurance policy options?
Tell us your zip code and we'll suggest coverage options that may be a good fit for where you live in California.
Discounts that help you save
Online Purchase Discount
Bundle and Save
Newly Purchased Home
California insurance agents near me
Liberty Mutual Offices in California
Ready to start a homeowners quote online?
Get a quote in minutes. Here's what you'll need:
- Basic information about your property
- Basic information about you, any co-owners, and occupants
- Ownership or mortgage status
- Details about your home's construction and any safety features
- If you have an existing homeowners insurance policy