Massachusetts home insurance
Enter your ZIP code to start your custom quote
Massachusetts homeowners insurance coverage
Massachusetts homeowners face many challenges throughout the year. Harsh winters bring frozen pipes, ice dams, and snow. Hot summers mean thunderstorms and hail that unexpectedly can damage property. Fall's beauty can even mask the threats associated with hurricane season. Liberty Mutual understands the needs of Massachusetts homeowners and offers customized homeowners insurance coverage to fit your specific situation.
What types of homeowners insurance coverages are recommended in Massachusetts?
The following insurance coverage comes standard with any homeowners policy:
- Personal property coverage
- Personal Liability and Medical Payment to Others
- Dwelling (Property damage to your home)
- Hurricane damage1
- Additional Living Expenses/Loss of Rent
Note that most tornado damage is generally covered under these standard coverage policies.
The following insurance coverages are recommended for homeowners in Massachusetts:
- Flood insurance: Homeowners insurance generally does not cover damage caused by floods, which can be a particular concern for communities in the Connecticut and Merrimack River Valleys, as well as the coastline. Keep in mind that even if you are not in a flood zone, flooding frequently occurs outside of flood risk areas.
Liberty Mutual offers flood insurance in partnership with the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) under the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). While flood insurance needs to be purchased separately and is often optional, it may be required to secure a home loan if you live in a high-risk flood area.
- Personal property replacement cost: If your belongings are lost or damaged in a covered loss such as from theft or a fire, this coverage will cover the cost of brand-new replacement items.
Begin your free online quote
The following optional homeowners insurance coverages should be considered by all homeowners in Massachusetts:
- Blanket Jewelry
- Escape of Water
- Inflation protection
Is homeowners insurance required by law in Massachusetts?
No, homeowners insurance isn't required by law in Massachusetts, but your mortgage company will most likely require it in order to get a loan.
What is the average cost of homeowners insurance in Massachusetts?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in Massachusetts is $1,309 per year according to NerdWallet.2 That's 20% lower than the national average. However, this rate may be higher or lower for you depending on the value and age of your home, the coverage you select, your claims history, and a wide variety of other factors.
Still unsure about your homeowners insurance policy options?
Tell us your zip code and we'll suggest coverage options that may be a good fit for where you live in Massachusetts.
Discounts that help you save
Online Purchase Discount
Bundle and Save
Newly Purchased Home
Ready to start a homeowners quote online?
Get a quote in minutes. Here's what you'll need:
- Basic information about your property
- Basic information about you, any co-owners, and occupants
- Ownership or mortgage status
- Details about your home's construction and any safety features
- If you have an existing homeowners insurance policy