New Jersey home insurance
Enter your ZIP code to start your custom quote
New Jersey homeowners insurance coverage
New Jersey homeowners face many challenges living in the Garden State. Harsh winters bring frozen pipes, ice dams, and snow. Hot summers mean thunderstorms and hail that can unexpectedly damage property. Fall's beauty masks the threats associated with hurricane season. Liberty Mutual understands the needs of New Jersey homeowners and offers customized homeowners insurance coverage to fit your specific situation.
What types of homeowners insurance coverages are recommended in New Jersey?
The following insurance coverage comes standard with any homeowners policy:
- Personal property coverage
- Personal Liability and Medical Payment to Others
- Dwelling (Property damage to your home)
- Hurricane damage1
- Additional Living Expenses/Loss of Rent
Note that most tornado damage is generally covered under these standard coverage policies.
The following insurance coverages are recommended for homeowners in New Jersey:
- Flood insurance: Homeowners insurance generally does not cover damage caused by floods, which are one of the most common natural hazards in New Jersey, particularly along the New Jersey shore. Keep in mind that even if you are not in a flood zone, flooding frequently occurs outside of flood risk areas.
Liberty Mutual offers flood insurance in partnership with the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) under the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). While flood insurance needs to be purchased separately and is often optional, it may be required to secure a home loan if you live in a high-risk flood area.
- Personal property replacement cost: If your belongings are lost or damaged in a covered loss such as from theft or a fire, this coverage will cover the cost of brand-new replacement items.
Begin your free online quote
The following optional homeowners insurance coverages should be considered by all homeowners in New Jersey:
- Blanket Jewelry
- Escape of Water
- Inflation protection
Is homeowners insurance required by law in New Jersey?
No, homeowners insurance isn't required by law in New Jersey, but your mortgage company will most likely require it in order to get a loan.
What is the average cost of homeowners insurance in New Jersey?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in New Jersey is $945 per year according to NerdWallet.2 That's 46% lower than the national average. However, this rate may be higher or lower for you depending on the value and age of your home, the coverage you select, your claims history, and a wide variety of other factors.
Still unsure about your homeowners insurance policy options?
Tell us your zip code and we'll suggest coverage options that may be a good fit for where you live in New Jersey.
Discounts that help you save
Online Purchase Discount
Bundle and Save
Newly Purchased Home
New Jersey insurance agents near me
Liberty Mutual Offices in New Jersey
Ready to start a homeowners quote online?
Get a quote in minutes. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Basic information about your property
- Basic information about you, any co-owners, and occupants
- Ownership or mortgage status
- Details about your home’s construction and any safety features
- If you have an existing homeowners insurance policy