- Nearly cooking fires occur on Thanksgiving than on any other day. When you're cooking, never leave the kitchen unattended. Keep close by and check back frequently—it's also a good idea to take the extra precaution of setting a timer as a reminder, just in case you get busy with other things.
- Enforce a "kid-free zone" of 3-feet around cooking areas. Even a splash or steam from vegetables or gravy can cause serious burns, according to the (NFPA).
- Take a minute to clear a cooking area of flammable items. Anything from wearing loose clothing to nonchalantly tossing an oven mitt can become a major hazard when you're cooking near open flames.
- Hosting for the holidays? When the last guest leaves, you probably want to leave the dishes in the sink and head to the couch, but always do a final check for any potential fire hazards left before you relax—like extinguishing candles and ensuring the oven is turned off.
- If you're among the one-third of us who will likely , plan for potential problems. Before leaving, check for a full tank of gas, proper tire pressure and plenty of windshield wiper fluid. It's also smart to travel with an with essential supplies in case of a break-down.
- for any hazardous weather that you may encounter, and consider the condition of the roads you will travel. Be realistic about your car's ability—and your confidence—in maneuvering through adverse weather.
- Avoiding can be especially hard during the holiday season. Focus on the road and avoid texting, taking cell-phone calls, and playing with GPS devices while driving.
- For pet-parents hosting during the holidays, the cardinal rule is: resist sharing the feast. High-fat table scraps can cause pancreatitis, raw turkey and eggs can cause food poisoning. And —including onion, garlic and chives—could even be toxic for a pet. Don't forget to make it clear to guests—especially children—that Fido and Fluffy are not to be fed.
- It's common to bring a festive plant as a hostess gift or use them as seasonal decorations, but many may also be toxic or harmful if ingested. Keep these out of reach for pets and small-children alike.